- Healthcare Law
- Professional License Defense
Andrew, a founding Member of CCBLaw, concentrates his practice in healthcare law. He has extensive experience in representing professional healthcare providers in investigations and disciplinary proceedings by the New York Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) and the New York Education Department Office of Professional Discipline (OPD). Andrew has also negotiated numerous favorable resolutions for physicians at Fair Hearings and in disputes with Medical Executive Committees.
Andrew received his M.D. from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1984 and was board certified in Internal Medicine for twenty years. He was a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Legal Medicine.
A Persian Gulf veteran and former Navy Flight Surgeon, Andrew was honorably discharged from the United States Naval Reserve with the rank of Commander. He then attended Syracuse University College of Law, where he graduated summa cum laude, and received the Justinian Society Award for Highest Academic Average. A staff editor of the Syracuse University Law Review, his note, "Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa: A Call for Privilege for Self-Disclosure of Error in the Setting of Primary Medical Education" won the American Health Lawyers Association's 2002 Student Writing Competition.
- New York State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Syracuse University, J.D. (summa cum laude), 2003.
- State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine, M.D., 1984.
- University of Michigan, B.S., 1980.
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Member, Health Law Section
- New York State Bar Association
- Member, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers' Association
- Onondaga County Medical Society
- Medical Society of the State of New York
"Legal Issues in Hospitalist-Hospital Relationships", chapter in Comprehensive Hospital Medicine, Mark V. Williams, M.D. et al., eds., Elsevier/Saunders, Philadelphia (2007).
"The Stark Reality of Being a Hospitalist: Who Knew Taking Care of Patients Would Be a Self-Referral", 8 The Hospitalist, November/December 2004.
"The Reawakening of Complementary and Alternative Medicine at the Turn of the Twenty-First Century: Filling the Void in Conventional Biomedicine", 20 Journal of Contemporary Health Law & Policy 329 (2004).
"Practicing Procedures on the Newly Deceased: A Legal Perspective", 8 The Hospitalist, March/April 2004.
"Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa: A Call for Privilege for the Self-Disclosure of Error in the Setting of Primary Medical Education", 35 Journal of Health Law 419 (2002).
Major Speaking Engagements
- AEI Seminars, 2017-18 Medical-Dental-Legal Update (recorded for multiple sites), Medical Malpractice.
- SJH 46th Family Medicine Refresher Course, Legal Issues in Telemedicine, Syracuse, New York, March 2017.
- SJH 44th Family Medicine Refresher Course, Decision Making Capacity in Clinical Practice, Syracuse, New York, March 2015.
- NYSBACLE, Representing Licensed Professionals Before the Office of Professional Medical Conduct and the Office of Professional Discipline, Syracuse, New York, November 2009.
- New York Health Information Management Association (NYHIMA), Medico-Legal Seminar, October 2009
- SJH 38th Family Medicine Refresher Course, Physician Discipline in New York, Syracuse, New York, March 2009.
- World Research Group Optimizing the Role of Hospitalists Conference, Hospital-Hospitalist Contracting, Atlanta, Georgia, December 2009.
- NYS Academy of Family Physicians Winter Meeting, Health Law 101- An Introduction to the Laws Regulating Health Care and The OPMC – The New York Physician Discipline System, Lake Placid, New York, January 2008.
- NYS Academy of Family Physicians Winter Meeting, Staying out of Legal Trouble, Lake Placid, New York, February 2007.
- NYSBACLE, Representing Physicians and Other Health Care Practitioners in the Professional Disciplinary Process, Melville, Albany, Rochester, New York City, Spring, 2006.
- American Urology Association Annual Meeting, Legal Issues in Owning an Ambulatory Surgery Center, San Antonio, TX (May, 2005).
- Society for Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting, Economic and Legal Aspects of the Relationship Between Hospitals and Hospitalists, Chicago, IL (April, 2005).